Dance Party USAJune 11, 2010 by Victoria Strong So every evening as I wait for Bill to get home from work I find myself gazing longingly at the clock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Where is my reinforcement? I think this end of the day fade is true for most parents -- the kids are spent, parents are fried, but it's not quite time for bed. In the past during this last stretch, I would give Gwendolyn a video and I would cuddle up next to her on my laptop. We both happily vegged out. But, the end result has been we both get sucked into no-man's land and pretty much zone out. And then when Bill comes home -- jolly to see his loving family -- we are like zombies. Not always (there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned veg out), but often enough that mindless facebooking put me in a funk -- and that's no fun at all. So last week I spontaneously started a trend -- Dance Party USA! And dancing is the best remedy for a funk! Gwendolyn LOVES music -- always has. And Gwendolyn is her Mama's girl -- she LOVES, loves, loves to dance! It takes a little finesse with the bipap, but I figured out a comfortable way for both of us to rock out and she thinks its hysterical.
- Step 1: Turn the TV to the music stations.
- Step 2: Pick a channel/song -- Gwendolyn is partial to Top Pop, Kids Only, and Party Favorites.
- Step 3: Feel the beat.
- Step 4: Sit on the edge of the couch -- one with bounce preferred -- child in lap.
- Step 5: Bounce, Move, Shake, Lean Back, Arms Up, Fist Pump, Slow It Down, Pick It Up, Groove
- Of course, BeyonceAll the Single Ladies
- Baha Men Who Let The Dog's Out
- Pink Sober
- Feist 1, 2, 3, 4
- Micheal Franti & Spearhead Say Hey (I Love You)
- The Oak Ridge Boys Elvira -- She used to kick like crazy to this when I was preggos. And funnily this was my favorite song when I was about 3
- Chris Brown Forever
- Adele Chasing Pavements
- Lady Antebellum Need You Now
- The Kinx Victoria -- okay, I encourage this one
This is by no means a complete list, just the ones that I can remember. And she likes to change the dance depending on the music. We have the slow cuddle dance, the rock out move everything dance, and then the patented Beyonce bounce dance. It is hysterical! She does big "Ahhhh" sounds, sings to the slow songs, giggles through the bounces, and begs for more, more, more.
And the best thing is Daddy arrives home, joins in, and we are all laughing together as we end the day!!! You should try it
I tried to get video, but it so doesn't do Dance Party USA justice. Gwendolyn is more of a live performer and goes all serious when the video camera comes out -- sheesh!